If you watch the Windows Build Keynote and session videos or installed the Windows 8 Developer Preview, you might have noticed that Windows Start Menu is no longer available. It is replaced with the Start Page/Screen. Even though we are used to start menu, start screen is quite easy to use and optimised in many ways, once you get used to it. This is basic Windows 8 tutorial that will show you the shortcuts, tips and instructions to get the most out of start screen.
1. How to add a new App/Settings/File shortcut to start screen
- If you are in the Windows Desktop, Switch to Start Screen. You can simply do this by click or touch the Start Button or by pressing the Windows Button on Keyboard.
- Move the mouse to the bottom left hand corner or press Windows Key + C and click the Search to open Search App.
Simply Click Windows Key + A
- Search and Find the App, Setting or File
- Right click on the App, Setting or File
2. Switch Between Desktop and Metro style Start Page
- (Keyboard) Windows Key
- (Mouse) Click on the Start Button on Desktop to switch to start page
- Click on Desktop icon on the start page to switch to Desktop
- (Touch) Touch on the Start Button on Desktop to switch to start page
- Touch on Desktop icon on the start page to switch to Desktop
3. Larger Start Page Icons
- (Mouse) Right click on a small icon (not applicable for system icons) and click Larger.
4. Start Page – Smaller Icons
- (Mouse) Right click on a lager icon (not applicable for system icons) and click Smaller.
5. Start Page – Uninstall (Remove) Program from PC
- (Mouse) Right click on the program icon and click uninstall. Then click Uninstall button.
- (Touch) Hold on the icon for couple of seconds to get the options and press uninstall. Then press Uninstall button.
– Windows Key + C