Windows 8 is no longer a secret Microsoft project. Now it is not limited to small group of people who manage to get hold of a Windows 8 leak. Now it is available for everyone to download and experiment with it. Remember it is still the developer version so, make sure you install it in virtual machine or a spare computer.
Windows 8 developer preview is available in x32bit and x64 bit formats. However, developer tools will be only available with the 64
Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)
All of the following come on a disk image file (.iso). See below for installation instructions.
- 64-bit Windows Developer Preview
- Windows SDK for Metro style apps
- Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows Developer Preview
- Microsoft Expression Blend 5 Developer Preview
- 28 Metro style apps including the BUILD Conference app
Windows Developer Preview English, 64-bit (x64)
Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Developer Preview and Metro style apps on a 64-bit PC.
Windows Developer Preview English, 32-bit (x86)
Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Developer Preview and Metro style apps on a 32-bit PC.
Live Connect provides developers a set of controls and APIs that enable applications to integrate Single Sign On (SSO) with Microsoft connected accounts and enable users to access information from SkyDrive, Hotmail, and Messenger.
Download Windows Developer Preview System Requirements
Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch